Welder Certification And Procedure Qualification
Enkon has expanded its quality assurance and third party inspection services to include a comprehensive welder certification and welding procedure qualification program.
As part of this enhanced service offering, Enkon undertake s the following:
- Welder Qualification Testing for performance qualification and certification of welders (a welder / welding operator performance qualification -WQT) to ASME, ANSI, AWS, API codes.
- Preparation of Weld Procedure Qualification as per client or project requirements.
- Coupon testing as per Weld Procedure Qualification which includes visual examination, mechanical testing, metallographic examination and non destructive testing.
- Documentation of the Procedure Qualification Record as per ASME,ANSI,AWS,API codes
- In depth weld inspection to include review of the applicable qualification e.g. weld procedure specification, welder performance qualification and validity for process materials and consumable items, equipment, set up and other factors, including certificates of calibration and / or conformity governing the work.
- Check safety of set up and operation having due regard for self, welder and other workers in vicinity, particular in respect of ultraviolet radiation from arc during welding.
The welding inspector deployed at a site from Enkon will be responsible for monitoring and verifying that the following functions of the work conform in all aspects to the specific requirements of the relevant code, specification and/or standard:
- Check correct weld procedure(s) employed.
- Check weld procedure and welder qualifications.
- Inspect weld profile preparation.
- Inspect joint fit-up
- Check filler metals and consumable materials
- Check correct welding performance parameters observed
- Perform visual examination upon completion of welding
- Monitor pre and post weld heat treatment, where specified.
- Monitor the physical examination including non-destructive test, hydrostatic test, mechanical test etc. If needed, the inspector may choose to send test coupons to the material testing laboratory.
- Ensure that all necessary visual inspection is completed and verify that all other necessary non-destructive examinations are executed in the specified manner for the method and coverage by appropriately qualified personnel.
When, and where, required the inspector shall employ the following equipment to aid in the performance of duties:
- Inspection mirrors.
- Torch or other electrical lighting facilities (permitted by safety codes eg. 24V system etc.)
- Physical size measuring instruments such as welding gauge, rule, vernier etc.
- Electrical parameter measuring instruments such as ammeter, voltmeter etc.
- Temperature measuring instruments (thermometer) / aids (thermo chalk).
All Enkon welding inspectors are generally certified in accordance with the requirements of at least one of the following schemes – Certification Scheme for Weld Inspection Personnel (CSWIP), American Welding Society (AWS), BGAS (previously British Gas ERS), and / or ASNT Level II VT. All inspectors have the ability to interpret various standards including ASME B&PV Code, Section IX, API Std. 1104 and ANSI / AWS D1.1.